Friday, January 4, 2013

Complaining

I have crossed a random personal threshold in my life. It is not really an important one, a momentous one, or even really a difficult one, but it is one of those little indescribable things that for one reason or another we associate with our own identity. Maybe you always hate watching TV, or never wear skirts. Is this a big deal? No, but for some reason its important to you.
One such little threshold for me is crossing over to natural childbirth for my third child. It isn't actually a huge deal; I know this because I have had two definitely not naturally, and know many friends who have kids naturally. We can chit chat. We can go to the same church :)  I have always hesitated because it sounds hard, and has lots of ideology tied to it that I am not opposed to, but am ambivalent about--as in, I have so much to worry about that I can't worry about that too. But, this time I'm taking the plunge.
I am doing it because of finances. Surprise! This is the theme of my life this year. We cut our insurance through our job (price tag $950 a month) and switched over to open market insurance ($300 a month). The one sacrifice is my coverage because pregnant women cannot apply for insurance in our state unless through her employer. This might seem like a huge sacrifice, but the deductible was so high that the insurance wouldn't cover the birth anyway. Now I  can shop around and find the right place instead of being stuck with a Scott and White doctor and Scott and White hospital.
Herein lies the problem, though: shopping. I have spent the past two weeks calling and calling and calling the hospital, various doctor's offices, etc. to get prices for really basic things like: can I get a quote for an average basic cost for childbirth in the hospital? Can I get a quote for an average basic cost of an office visit with a certain doctor? The answer to both is no, apparently.
I called the main office, and they sent me to the business office, who sent me to obgyn, whose nurse answered the phone and was clueless and surprised, then reconnected with the business office who sent the call somewhere else where it hit an instant voice message box that is now full of my unanswered messages that I deposit there every day. I would complain about the particular hospital, but both in town have done it to me. Doctor's offices are no better. I am beginning to wonder if there is a vast conspiracy to try to get me to flip a coin and pick someone and then be saddled with huge unknown fees. The closest I have gotten to an answer is when I got through to the admitting department on the delivery floor.
"yeah honey, the cost usually runs about 1,900" says a friendly nurse on the other end.
"That seems low." Says I. "Even with good insurance, my last child cost me 1,600 before I left the hospital, and that was after I had paid the deductible."
"Oh! Yes well that just covers the birth and nurse and room. The doctor has his own fee. So does the nursery, additional hours past 24 hours in labor, any shots the baby gets, any evaluations the baby gets, any IVs or shots you get, and stuff."
"How can I find out what the doctor and nursery fees are? How can I know what shots I might need and their prices?"
She gives me a long list of numbers which--surprise--were both long distance AND went straight to voice mail and never provided fruit.
This is especially frustrating because there is a birth center in town which--for $4,000 cash--gives all pre and post natal check ups, nursing aid and a place to labor, and childbirth training in a package deal. Now that is ALOT of money to hand over in cash, and I balk because that 1,900 from the hospital sounds promising, but I am pretty sure it's a lie. But how can I know? How can I, a financially strapped young woman, make an intelligent financial choice and be an informed consumer if no one will talk to me? Surely someone knows how much my obgyn charges per visit? Or do they throw a dart at a board when I walk in?

Come on, people.

3 comments:

  1. It was between 50 and 200 dollars per monthly visit when I had to pay out of pocket at a low-income clinic in Waco. You will not be in a low-income clinic, so double or triple that.

    And I had a natural childbirth with both kids. The first one was super difficult, but I hear first births are usually more difficult that second ones. The second one was pretty fast, so it wasn't nearly as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, well even at 150 to 200 a month it sounds like a midwife would be cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $4,000, if you're going out of pocket is a bargain. I would totally do that. Plus if you are not spending $950 a month on insurance you could put the money saved toward the midwife. I am a big proponent of the awesome care you get with midwives. Ob's suck in comparison.
    You will not get a straight answer out of anyone until you make an appointment with an obgyn and sit down with the office manager and talk the nitty gritty numbers. Then you ask the ob's officer manager to get you a sit down appointment with the person in her same position at the hospital.
    Four years ago I tried to find out the same numbers to see if I had gotten ripped off with Kristiana's birth. I discovered that the average birth with hospital and obgyn bills cost $6,500.
    Don't fret over this. I am sure this is all going to work out and you are not going to go broke. Further, if you are that low-income, hospitals often have charities that will cover the bills after the fact. You simply need to inquire. Since you will likely be unemployed when the baby is born you will probably qualify.
    Lastly, you CAN do a natural birth. It's going to be okay. Women have down this for centuries upon centuries and it is not as bad as it seems. Read some books about how to focus you mind elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete